Of Impromptu Speeches

Of Impromptu SPEECHES

I had returned home after midnight from Kumasi. The previous day had been a hectic one after all the rounds I made on the KNUST campus. All I wanted to do was sleep the stress off. Yeah. That's all a weary soul wanted. So, I lay me down in my bed like a log; hoping that no one spoils it for me.

Then the phone rang. 'Ah! I thought I did put this phone on silent mode? Didn't I?' I sure did. I even woke up and silenced my alarm at 4 am. So who broke through the silence?

It was my senior, Mr Mills. He had to speak at GIMPA Business School Career Fair but for an emergency, he needed a quick replacement. Guess I was the only one he could immediately call on at 8 am to deliver a talk at 11 am. Whew!

Such a senior! With sweet words, he convinced me to save the situation. I obliged. Called the lecturer to confirm my coming and showed up as promised.

The Dean of  Students, Dean of the Business school and Head of Departments finished their spiels. It was my turn to show up on stage and speak up.

I shared on  Soaring in the world of work with Soft Skills. I spoke like a big brother to the students and signed off amidst claps and a standing ovation.

What my audience didn't know was that the speech they enjoyed was prepared in less than an hour and all I did was an impromptu presentation. Only the lecturer and I knew what went on behind the scenes.

All too soon the day was over and I set off to go home. Then I received a WhatsApp notification. It was from Mr Mills. 'I understand you were excellent' Apparently, my host lecturer had sent him a message whilst  I was speaking on stage. My Goodness. Great feedback!

That simple statement swept off every shred of stress off me completely. Plus, it made a lot of impact on my spirit than the honorarium...:)

Now, if you speak around campuses,  you would have probably noticed that academics are the least groups of people to impress with your presentations but my story was different. The secret? It comes from years of perfecting my public speaking skills.

And I am willing to share the tricks, tactics and techniques with you come May 11th.

Watch this space for SPEAK @ PEAK Mastery Class: A Public Speaking Master Class with Gamel San KARL.

Anticipate But Most Importantly PARTICIPATE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GHOSTWRITER FOR HIRE