Called and Celebrated
So there I sat with my colleague. We had submitted a letter earlier on and had returned to do a follow-up. We were being hopeful that we could book a meeting with the principal of the school but this receptionist wouldn't let us see her.

What were we there for?  We were running a creative writing clinic for children and wanted to conduct a similar clinic in the school for their students if they so wanted. We were hopeful we had a good proposal and a meeting  with the principal would afford us the opportunity to communicate our intentions across clearly.

However, this gatekeeper like several others wouldn't let us in. After a couple visits that seemed fruitless, we gave up on the idea and went off the scene.

Fast forward, I went about doing my own stuff and getting better and bigger at what I knew how to do best; writing and conducting coaching sessions on creative writing. I got gigs to teach at writing workshops, got nominations for awards and got invited to be a creative writing guest lecturer in one of Ghana's foremost institutions on journalism.

The awards, recognitions and rewards that came my way positioned me for other opportunities. Then  I had an invitation to facilitate a creative writing workshop in another international school. This was an assemblage of the best international school students and best brains on creative writing tutors for a two-day workshop.

One of the teachers from the school that didn't give me audience was stationed in my class because she was to take care of the students shw came with. She was an English Tutor for the said school.

We exchanged contacts. She seemed to like my way of facilitating the creative writing classes. For some reason their school decided to run a creative writing clinic and guess who they invited to be the lead facilitator for the workshop? Yeah. You guessed right. Yours truly.

On the set date, I went in and  had a great time with the students assigned to my class. We learnt, laughed and wrote our hearts out.  At the end of the creative writing clinic , the students mesmerized their proprietress with their stories and poems. She was so excited about their write-ups that she decided to get to know me closely.

We engaged in a chat and she got to know I had a science background. She quickly called in her daughter who was a medic in training. Her reason? So she could hear me and how I am able to do an art like writing and still excel in the sciences. She felt it was something to celebrate me about.

I went home that day with a heavy envelope. Up until that point, I can say I hadn't received so heavy an envelop for a day's workshop.

The morale of this episode of my life is to let you know that when you are prevented from making an entry somewhere, don't let it get to you. Don't fret about it.

Go get better. When you become very good and relevant in what you do, you will be recognized and rewarded. And those who once rejected you, will call you to reward you. Those who once tolerated you, would call you and celebrate you instead.

Be your best. Bounce back and break barriers. Breakthrough is possible. Go get bigger, better and greater. You'll be called and celebrated!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GHOSTWRITER FOR HIRE

From a Heartbreak to a Heartwarming Author