STORIES OF A SPEAKER 1

A couple of years ago, I got an invitation from the Ghana Chapter of the Charted Institute of Marketing (CIM-UK), to speak at Koforidua Technical University.

It was their Business School's Week. And as part of the sessions, they had a day slated for Career Fair. CIM-UK being a sponsor wanted some speakers and my name came up. I spoke on 'Choosing A Temperament Suited Career'.

At the event I did what I know how to do best: Speaking! And at the end of the day, I went home happy because my host was happy to have had me speak to the students.

But what intrigued me was the chance to sit with one of the speakers. He is a seasoned speaker whom I had had the privilege of listening to a few times during my undergraduate days in the University of Cape Coast.

As at the time I was in school, I could imagine myself doing something like that in the future but to share a stage with him was a thought too big for my young mind to fantasize over then.

But the future came earlier than I anticipated. Here I was sitting next to him on the same table in less than four years after graduation.

His joy was beyond description when I mentioned to the audience that I had once listened to him and dreamt of doing what he was doing. He couldn't be any proud.

Needless to say, we became friends from that day and even got to travel and speak together for the same company at the Presbyterian University College.

What made this possible? What brought the difference? The sheer act of Perfecting my Public Speaking Skills did. 

Now, this is the point: Public Speaking is a skill that can secure you a spot at the top.

Like this speaker and others, I have had the chance to sit with people I grew up watching on TV and admiring simply because I know how to speak in public.

When you are climbing up the career ladder in any professional pursuit, it becomes very necessary at some point to do presentations, speak to your team and cast visions, meet with investors and other professionals to pitch.

These are high stake shots and you can comfortably call the shots by being a good public speaker.

Truth is, you can be very competent at what you do but if you're not a confident public speaker, some positions might pass you by.

No organization would want to make you the face of their entity if you cannot represent them in any public discourse.

Speaking cogently and coherently is a must have skill. You need great public speaking skills to make a great kill in the competitive world of work. 

If you desire to sit on the table of the bosses then you need to speak like a boss yourself.

Wanna speak at the peak? Like a boss? Then join me on the 11th of May and I will teach you how to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GHOSTWRITER FOR HIRE

From a Heartbreak to a Heartwarming Author