WATCH WHAT YOU WRITE ONLINE

 Today, I fondly remember and reflect on an encounter I had on Facebook that left me with awe a few years ago. 


First, I got a friend request from a lady and I was hesitant to accept. But eventually did. 


She read and forwarded my posts, especially my poems to her boss, The Father of Visual Poetry affectionately referred to as Doc. Penpen across the world. 


The man then sent me a friend request himself. We started following each other. I was humbled by who he was when I began following. 


Then he announced his coming to Africa (Ghana to be precise) for a Poetry and Awards event which had some poets from across the world in attendance as well. 


Then upon his arrival in Ghana, he invited me over to his place of lodging for breakfast. We had hearty conversations on Ghana, our respective medical professions (because he trained as a doctor) and eventually zoomed in on literary arts, poetry and publishing, our common loves. 


Then, he asked that I went with him to a state minister's office to submit some letters for government approval of the event that sort to host foreign poets. 


Whilst waiting to be called in to meet the minister, we continued our conversations on the courts of the ministry. 


In the course of this, I said something (not sure what that was). It got him excited and he opened his arms, signalled me to close in for a hug, I did and then he kissed my head saying; 'hey boy you've got a beautiful brain'. Was I surprised? Certainly. My head was swooning. 


A few days later, we went to the said event. And to my utmost surprise, I was called on as one of the 'Universal Inspirational Poetry' awardees. 


From my observation, the poets in attendance were accomplished men and women including a renowned Ghanaian poet and surgeon, Professor Lade Wosornu. (If you ever read the poem; 'The Master Brewer' in high school, then be informed that he wrote it).  


Given the profiles of the awardees, I saw it as a big-league thing. But he saw me worthy of the award. 


After the awards event, we spoke briefly and I appreciated him for the recognition and award. He said I deserved it and that his team doesn't award people who don't merit it. 


Having said that, he added; 'I will make students of Ivy League schools such as Harvard read your writings'. I was flattered and didn't know what to say. So I said nothing even though I had doubts. This was in 2016. 


A year later, he returned to Ghana as a guest of honour for an event. He invited me over to his place. After exchanging pleasantries, he gave me a big book to take a glance through. 


And guess what? That book had my writings in it. The icing on the cake? The book had been presented to some Ivy League schools for their libraries already. 


And that's how a world figure from the Philippines presented and projected a young Ghanaian boy to the world. 


What's the import of this post? It's simple: Someone is always watching what you do online. Be sure to do what will make someone speak for you in the board room in your absence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GHOSTWRITER FOR HIRE

From a Heartbreak to a Heartwarming Author