RESIDENCY DIARIES 3- RESIDENT IN SOYINKA'S ROOM




 In WOLE'S WORDS and WORLD 


When I arrived at the Writers' Residency in Iseyin, I was led by the house administrator to one of four rooms named after renowed African writers of Nigerian origin. 


I was assigned and ushered into Wole Soyinka's room, whom I later got to know was once a special guest of honour during one of the monthly welcome receptions for residents at the residency. 


My joy knew no bounds when I finally settled in in a new world, a room named in his honour. From the very moment I stepped in that room, my mind went into a reflective mode, seeking for ways I could make the most of my stay and do something in his honour whilst honing my writing skills. 


One of the first things I did was to go online, read more about him besides the scanty knowledge of him and his craft. I copied a couple of his poems and delightfully devoured them. 


I turned and tossed the idea many times in mind, pondering over what to write whilst staying in that world created in his honour. 


I have imagined starting a complete poetry book in his honour. I have considered writing a play or putting together some essays...create something special and memorable to document the moments spent in this space named after him. 


These are still thoughts waiting to be infused with literary life; simple ideas hoping to see the light of day. Time will tell. But whichever comes up, I will be drawing inspiration from his words to create my own literary works. 


I may not become like him because he is him and I am me. It is however worth knowing that his walk down the literary path has paved way for many and will do same for me. 


Learning from his journey, I can create my own path. I can stand on his shoulders and see farther. I can become a better version of myself because I get to benefit from the trail he blazed. 


And whilst at it, I will keep asking myself questions such as; 


If Wole Soyinka truly slept here, what would he be thinking about? 


If he sat in this seat and occupied this space, what would he write? 


What would he share with the world in his attempt to change the world through his writing? 


Can I Walk in Soyinka's Shadows? 


Can I Write in Wole's Words? 


Well, time will tell. I will keep at it and see how it goes..... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GHOSTWRITER FOR HIRE

From a Heartbreak to a Heartwarming Author