RESIDENCY DIARIES 6- Libraries Create Life!

 LIBRARIES ARE LIT! THEY CREATE LIFE! 


Germaine Greer once opined that; “A library is a place where you can lose your innocence without losing your virginity.” How true! And this truth has been my experience since childhood. 


My love for libraries started at an early age of twelve. I once chanced on a primary school classmate of mine with some story books, and they looked very appealing. Their make, feel and look as well as titles enticed me. I wanted to have a read and so I asked her 'Where did you get these story books?' 


She was kind enough to direct me to the community library where she borrowed the books. And that place became my safe haven ever after, especially during my high school and university days. 


The words of E.B White best describes my experience when I finally registered and got for myself a library card. 


I felt that; “A library is a good place to go when you feel unhappy, for there, in a book, you may find encouragement and comfort. A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your question answered. Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people – people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book.” 


There were times, a teacher told me during a school football match that, you are meant for the books and not the boots. Much as I was hurt to hear that, it was and still is true. 


Is any wonder that I always keep a book with me or near Meon? It's not surprising that my bed space is always occupied by books. 


I have loved books and libraries since childhood and will always do. I don't only enjoy reading them, I grew into someone who actually loves writing them too. 


So, when we got an invitation as Resident writers to visit the RAJI Oke-Esa Memorial Library in Iseyin, it was a welcome news for me in particular.  


I was excited at the sight of the magnificent edifice upon our arrival. I couldn't hide my admiration for the library and decided to go on a photography taking spree as the librarians showed us around. 


The beautiful library has more than just books. It had sections for general reading and studies, for referencing, for writers, news paper reading, JAMB practice, legal and medical sections, religious section and a section stocked with laptops and Internet for students to learn online etc. 


What intrigued me the most was the conscois efforts made in honouring illustrious Nigerians by aiming various sections after them. This in my view inspires patriotism and a sense of nationalism for people who are contribtuing to national development as they know someday someone will honour them. 


Our visit to the library brought me to the conscious that a library is not simply a collection of books but a safe space for moulding destinies through the provision of literature. 


And Andrew Carbegie says it best when he said; “A library outranks any other one thing a community can do to benefit its people. It is a never failing spring in the desert.” 


Libraries are not outmoded. They are still in vogue and millennials should visit one when and as they can. We can wage a war against ignorance when our nations commit to building and creating libraries. 


The words of Walter Cronkite summarises my thoughts when he said; “Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.” 


Kudos to the RAJI Eke-Osa family for doing this for Nigeria and I entreat all well meaning nationals of various countries to contribute to the building of libraries and to the shaping of lives through literature. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GHOSTWRITER FOR HIRE

From a Heartbreak to a Heartwarming Author